Wednesday, January 27, 2010

All I Want For Christmas Is You

Chris was sitting on a park bench. All around him was a winter wonderland. Snow was falling lazily but steadily from the grey clouds overhead. It covered everything with glistening white sparkles that gave the place a mysterious feel, almost fantasy-like.

In the coming twilight, Christmas lights that had been carefully strung from the branches of a few trees glowed brightly. But Chris hardly noticed any of it, fixed as he was on the man sitting beside him.

Jonny's eyes seemed to be glowing far brighter in the limited light of the evening than anything in the trees. Chris saw a mother showing her daughter one of the trees, and almost laughed at their amazed reaction to the decorations. He thought it was truly comical that they should act this way when the most exquisite thing in the park, and likely the whole world, was right there next to him.

Jonny was wrapped head to toe in the warmest of winter gear. Chris knew he hated the cold, but he would always be willing to suffer through it to accompany Chris on his frequent strolls throughout town.

"You know Chris," Jonny spoke slowly, and with a good deal of guilt, "it's Christmas eve and I still haven't gotten you a present." He sighed, and looking up towards the darkening sky, added, "First I was going to get you that guitar you showed me once. Then I was going to get you this giant chocolate Christmas tree I saw at some old sweets shop in London, but nothing seems good enough."

He turned towards Chris and met his eyes. "Whenever I try to think of something, I just keep thinking about what I would want to give you. But what I want to give and what you would want to receive, well I'm afraid they might be two very different sorts of things."

Chris wished he could look away from those green eyes, but he knew he could not. "Well what is it you would like to give me?"

"No, I can't tell you."

"Why not? I'm sure that whatever it is will be something I will cherish."

"Well, it is not something that I can wrap, and what kind of present is that?"

"From what I've heard, the best kind."

"Okay if you must know," he whispered, I would love nothing more than to give you this." He began to get closer and closer to Chris, but suddenly became fearful and pulled back, shaking his head.

Chris was truly crushed; he had thought for one brief moment he might finally be getting his one wish fulfilled. He jumped up suddenly, and practically shouted, "Well if you're not going to tell me then I'm just going to tell you what I want! And we'll see how it compares!"

Jonny was shocked. He started to speak, but Chris cut him off. His voice sullen and full of sadness, he whispered "Jon, all I want is you. Perhaps it cannot be adorned in colorful paper and bows, but is the most lovely thing in all the world to have."

"Chris, I-"

"Jonny, it was just too much to bear to hear you say you don't know what to give me, when it is so clear in my own mind what I want." He shrugged and started to walk away. "I just thought you should finally know."

"Wait!" Chris turned to see Jonny running to catch up to him, finally stopping when he was mere inches form Chris's face. "As it turns out," he said softly, "that is the exact sort of thing I was hoping you would want."

"R-really?"

"If you don't believe me, why don't you let me give you your gift?" Jonny didn't wait for an answer. He simply grabbed Chris and kissed him. Chris just stood there for a moment, too stunned to say a word. Jonny smiled widely and broke the silence.

"It really must be true that to give is better than to receive, because I have never been filled with such joy as I am filled with now. And the best gift is something that keeps on giving. So..." He slipped his hand into Chris's.

Chris finally managed to regain his composure, and he returned Jonny's smile with one of his own. "I shouldn't have been worried. You truly do always know what I want."

He thought for a moment. "I only hope you will still want the same thing next year."

"I will always want you Chris," Jonny replied sincerely.

"Well that is good, because I will always want you."


THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment